Skin analysis is basically a detailed look at your skin in order to determine information like pore size and general health, and also to check for signs of sun damage, aging, redness, and spots. It is traditionally done by aestheticians and beauticians under a brightly lit magnifying lamp.
Now, however, skin analysis can be done digitally for even greater detail and in-depth information. The latest technology is VISIA Skin Analysis, a state-of-the-art technique that includes digital scanning and mapping of the skin, both above and below the surface. The high-definition scan allows your doctor to see every minute detail about your skin and analyze the results so that they can recommend a suitable course of treatment.
How Does VISIA Work?
The VISIA machine is equipped with multiple cameras and filters that can capture high-quality facial images. It allows for easy documentation of the skin’s condition over time with its multi-positioning and live image overlay system. In around 30 seconds, VISIA produces three flashes of light in order to capture clear and detailed images.
What Does VISIA Analyze?
There are many things that the naked eye cannot see. VISIA is able to capture images that reveal the following features:
1) Pores – These sweat-gland openings can vary in size between different individuals. Larger pores are prone to whiteheads and blackheads.
2) Wrinkles – Wrinkles appear as a person’s skin loses its elasticity with age. When fine wrinkles are spotted early, you can get rejuvenation treatments for your skin before the wrinkles get bigger and your skin starts to sag.
3) Spots – These include freckles, acne scars, vascular lesions, and hyperpigmentation, all of which can be treated. Spots and pores can look deceptively alike to the naked eye, but VISIA can distinguish between the two using its high-definition scanning and imaging.
4) UV Spots – These occur when sun damage causes melanin to coagulate under the surface of the skin. They are usually invisible to the naked eye.
5) Brown Spots – These form due to an excess of melanin, which causes darkened pigmentation.
6) Texture – The skin’s texture refers to its color and smoothness. VISIA can detect the variations in the smoothness of the skin surface.
7) Redness – Skin can appear red due to acne, rosacea, inflammation, or telangiectasia (visible blood vessels).
8) Porphyrins – These are bacterial excretions that can be found in one’s pores. They cause acne to form on the skin.
After the Analysis
VISIA Skin Analysis reveals the state of your skin – the amount of wrinkles, spots, enlarged pores, and other skin conditions, as well as the presence of acne-causing bacteria. The report generated by the machine will also include a prediction of the process of natural aging if your skin is left untreated.
Once you have the report, your doctor will be equipped with the knowledge of the full state of your skin, so she can suggest methods to remedy some of the problem areas. Appropriate skin regimens can then be planned for you to follow so as to improve the health of your skin. Another skin analysis can be scheduled for a later date in order to check the progress of whichever treatment you have decided to go with.
Arrange a Consultation at Our Office
Dr. Lu-Jean Feng is a board-certified plastic surgeon with a great deal of experience in rejuvenating damaged and weathered skin. To learn more about VISIA Skin Analysis or the other treatments we offer, contact our office and arrange a consultation.