DXA / DEXA Scan
Bone Density, Muscle Mass + Body Fat Composition
A DXA/DEXA Scan is a dual energy scan to assess low bone density and possible structural deterioration of the skeletal system as well as body fat composition and lean muscle mass. A DXA/DEXA Scan utilizes ionizing low energy x-ray and is performed by a radiology technologist at The Feng Clinic for Dr. Feng’s analysis.
- Bone density scans are typically done every two years.
- Body fat and muscle mass composition scanning can be done as needed to track your fitness progress.
- The amount of x-ray exposure is less than the radiation exposure from flying from the East coast to the West coast.
- Equivalent to about 1/10th of the exposure in a chest x-ray exam.
- The DXA scan is non-invasive and painless. It only takes a few minutes to complete.
Who is at risk for osteoporosis?
- Women during and after menopause
- People who exercise excessively resulting in loss of periods or significant weight loss
- Caucasian and Asian ethnicity
- Small boned and thin people
- Elderly people
- People with a family history of osteoporosis
- Men with low testosterone levels
- Alcohol consumers
- Inactive people
- People with a diet low in calcium and vitamin D
- People using certain medications (steroids, thyroid medication, chemotherapy)
- People with some medical conditions like hyperparathyroidism and bowel disease
Call to schedule an appointment.